You have more or less 4 different types of web hosting:
- Dedicated — you have an entire server dedicated to you.
- Shared — you share resources with hundreds of other people on the same server.
- Virtual Private Server (VPS) — you share a dedicated server with others, but you have your own resources.
- WordPress Managed (recommended) — your web host takes care of the optimization, backup, security and maintenance of your shared or allocated server for you.
What a good web hosting company looks like:
- Good customer service (especially phone and chat).
- Good reviews from external sites.
- Good uptime (99.9%).
- Lots of bandwidth (especially if you choose shared hosting).
- The company is dedicated to hosting as their primary service.
On self hosting
It’s possible to turn your laptop or desktop computer into a server but the following things would have to be in place—which is why it may be cost effective to pay a web hosting company to handle this for you:
- Your computer would have to be configured to be a server.
- Your computer would have to be turned on 24/7 in order for your website to be accessible 24/7.
- Your computer would need to have a high processing speed, lots of RAM and lots of bandwidth.
Popular hosting companies:
- Liquid Web
- InMotion Hosting
- WP Engine